Faculty Memo: Fall 2014 Course Shells
Reduce Blackboard-oriented stress by reading this memo, and please save it for future reference!
Greetings! As is our custom fall semester course shells are created just prior to the July 4th holiday, and you should find your fall course shells in the My Courses module of your Blackboard page:
- All fall semester course shells are pre-pended with:
- If your Courses module is getting crowded please follow these instructions for hiding unwanted course shells:
- For any variety of reasons faculty might not see the courses they are scheduled to teach. Please contact us using the Web Help Desk and we’ll do what we can to help:
- It’s always a good idea to review the Standard Practices area of the Faculty Bb IT Wiki. It covers beginning-of-the- semester topics including how to transfer course content between semesters, how to contact your students before they are added to Bb, and how to view the student roster:
- Access the Course Content Transfer tool using the URL below. Please note that requests made over the holiday weekend may not be processed until school reopens.
- For all IT support please contact the Web Help Desk:
- To review the entire Bb Faculty IT Wiki, over 125 document and video support services arranged by topic, please follow this link:
- For synchronous web conferencing or to record lectures for student use please refer to the Collaborate page on the IT Wiki:
- The main IT Wiki comprises documentation, how-tos and step-by-step instructions related to a wide variety of technology services offered by William Paterson University and can be found at the link below:
- Students are added to Bb shells the day before the semester begins but they have access the Learning with Blackboard course site in order to become acquainted with both the learning management system. Prior to the semester faculty can communicate with students through Banner:
Remember, Quality Matters is coming to William Paterson!
Quality Matters (QM) is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach to continuous improvement in online education and student learning. The program features:
- Faculty-centered, continuous improvement models for assuring the quality of online courses through peer review
- Professional development workshops and certification courses for instructors and online learning professionals
- Rubrics for applying quality standards to course design
For more information see:
The Blackboard Bulletin
a semi-regular notice of issues and services, brought to you by the Center for Teaching & Learning with Technology
Inline Assignment Grading
If you are tired of downloading and grading 30 papers then uploading the batch and distributing the papers to individual students, this is the solution you’ve been looking for. With inline assignment grading faculty can access, grade and return papers without ever leaving the Blackboard interface.
After reviewing this document you will know how to:
- Access assignments through either the Needs Grading or the Grade Center interfaces
- Identify the grading tools and navigate the inline assignment grading interface
- Use the grade assignment page annotation tools
- Grade assignments anonymously
- Allow additional or multiple attempts
- Summer course shells have been created – if you don’t see your 201325 course please open a ticket with the WPUNJ IT Help Desk, http://www.wpunj.edu/helpdesk/
- Fall course shells will be created in early July
- Course Content Transfer – transfer existing course content to a new semester with this form:
- Course Shell Merges – cross-listed and multi-section courses can be merged into a single shell:
- Activate Course Shells – When students are added to course shells at the beginning of the semester they they’ll only see the courses that have been activated!
Browser Compatibility and Plug-ins
Please review this table to make sure your web browser is compatible with Blackboard 9.1. Mac users should note that Safari is not supported; we recommend Mac users take advantage of the free alternatives Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. http://www.wpunj.edu/bb/bb-browser-plugin.pdf
Hide Unused Course Shells
Is your Bb course module so crowded with unused courses you can’t find the courses you need? Take control of your course module listing!
Center for Teaching & Learning with Technology Educational Opportunities
Online Pedagogy Institute
The institute offers faculty the opportunity to learn some of the practices that make online education unique. Best, it is offered online, offering faculty both the teaching and learning perspectives of distance education.
• July 8 – July 26
Spring/Summer Bb Institute
The Bb institute provides a hands-on immersion workshop designed to help faculty prepare a Blackboard course site to be used to teach an Internet course or supplement a traditional course.
• Summer 2013: August 20 & 21
Roundtables will be offered every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday throughout the semester.
Academic Integrity, Active Learning, Course Design, Effective Online Discussions, Flipping a Class, Motivating Online Learners, New Faculty Technology Orientation, and Web Conferencing.
In addition the CTLT offers one-on-one mentorships in which instructional technologists work one-on-one with faculty to convert traditionally taught class to its online counterpart.
June Bulletin – http://www.wpunj.edu/bb/faculty/bb-bulletin-june-2013.pdf
May Bulletin – http://www.wpunj.edu/bb/faculty/bb-bulletin-may-2013.pdf