« »

BBC: Three killed in more Bangladesh war crimes violence

March
2nd
member
fatimas

My parents are from Bangladesh and I know a family that recently went there to visit their parents, so I thought now would be a good time to follow the news of what is happening in Bangladesh. A little stray from ME news, but news from Asia just the same.

“Delwar Hossain Sayeedi was sentenced on Thursday on charges including murder, rape and torture during the war of independence in 1971. Mr Sayeedi’s Jamaat-e-Islami party says the tribunal is politically motivated. Mr Sayeedi is the third defendant to be convicted by the tribunal, which was set up in 2010 by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government to deal with those accused of collaborating with Pakistani forces who attempted to stop East Pakistan (as Bangladesh was then) from becoming an independent country. Earlier this month, another Jamaat leader, Abdul Kader Mullah, was sentenced to life for crimes against humanity. In January, former party leader Abul Kalam Azad was found guilty in absentia of eight charges of crimes against humanity and sentenced to death.”

Honestly, I think all this violence and blame game is getting out of hand around the world. Even though I am Bangladeshi, I don’t consider myself a nationalist, one devoted to the interests or culture of one’s nation. On the contrary, I see the faults of nations, cultures, and individuals, even if it is my own. Thus, I don’t hesitate to say them either. As for this situation, I think it is more than just to get rid of those charged with “war crimes” such as the three figures mentioned above sentenced to death. Bangladesh wants to become “developed” and more “Western” and they will do anything to achieve this. I know many Bangladesh nationalist. Some of them continue to hate on Pakistanis today, even though they have nothing to do with what happened in the past war between the two countries. Just because you are of a certain group, and a few of these people do something crazy or dangerous, doesn’t make everyone in that group bad. Like I’ve mentioned before, there are bad apples in every bunch but that shouldn’t spoil the rest.

Just like any other country or government, the real reasons for sudden turmoil is manipulated to the public through media. Even though Bangladesh is a country were the majority of the population are Muslims, many Bangladeshis are influenced and want to become more secularized and Western. Which means, Islam is being under attack. The individuals who want secularism rather than Islam, blame people like the individuals above in the news for crimes and violence when they themselves aren’t innocent. This way, the news will jump at the opportunity to again make Muslims and Islam look bad if these “so called Muslims” are charged with violence and war crimes.

To read the article from BBC, go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21639831

For some info. on what I mean by the “real” reasons for this sudden news, go watch these videos.

Attack on Islam In Bangladesh (Muslim Womens Burqa)

URGENT! Bangladesh in Crisis

Turmoil in Bangladesh 2013

date Posted on: Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Category Bangladesh.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.