« »

BBC: US’s $60bn Iraq rebuilding effort ‘achieved little’

March
9th
member
fatimas

“The US rebuilding effort in Iraq achieved little despite $60bn (£40bn) spent since the 2003 invasion, a US auditor for reconstruction has said. The eight-year war in Iraq cost the US about $800bn and nearly 5,000 lives. Kurdish official Qubad Talabani told auditors: “You think if you throw money at a problem, you can fix it. It was just not strategic thinking.” Senator Bob Corker, the top Republican on the Senate’s foreign relations committee, said the report’s findings were “appalling” and that lessons must be learnt to avoid repeating mistakes in Afghanistan. The US has spent about $90bn on reconstruction in Afghanistan over the course of a 12-year military campaign. The US plans to withdraw combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.”

What a disgrace that after all this time, effort, money, and lives spent in Iraq, there is not much to show for it. All the money and lives are irreplaceable, but also the time. Imagine what the American soldiers and the Iraqi civilians, both dead and alive, could have done in 8 years! The amount of money wasted is also unbelievable. That money could have been used to better the lives of thousands of Americans. The excuse that America was and is trying to help other countries is nonsense. “Why do you keep looking at the speck in your brother’s eye, and pay no attention to the beam in your own?… First get the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see to get the speck out of your brother’s eye” (The New Testament). In other words, America needs to help itself first before getting involved in another countries affairs, especially if they are not wanted by the majority.

I like how it was said that money doesn’t fix every problem, which I agree with. Money won’t pay back the time, effort, and lives lost in Iraq or any other war. And about “the US plans to withdraw combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014″, how long have we all heard this? America seriously needs to learn from its mistakes and the mistakes of the past which only repeats itself. As Brandon Mull said, “Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.” Again, I agree with this and think this in every situation, but even more when more is at stake. And for anyone wondering, I am an American. I was born and raised here even though my parents are from Bangladesh. I don’t support and favor any nation/ nationality over another. I don’t consider myself a patriot or nationalist and like I mentioned in my last post, I see the faults of nations, cultures, and individuals, even if it is my own. Thus, I don’t hesitate to say them either. This is one of those cases.

If you would like to read the article, please go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21692031

A little eye-opener I wanted to share: What if you open your eyes? By Ron Paul

date Posted on: Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm
Category Irag.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.