Traditional and Individual Talend

I am going to write my blog this week about athletes and how they grow either as individuals by practicing by themselves, or by having a coach help them.  I got a lot of my inspiration for this post from a quote in “Tradition and the Individual Talent,” by T.S. Eliot.   “Honest criticism and sensitive appreciation is directed not upon the poet but upon the poetry. If we attend to the confused cries of the newspaper critics and the susurrus of popular repetition that follows, we shall hear the names of poets in great numbers; if we seek not Blue-book knowledge but the enjoyment of poetry, and ask for a poem, we shall seldom find it (Eliot).”

In this quote I basically replace the words poet and poetry with athlete and sport.  Many athletes get very upset when coaches yell at them or try to show them what they did wrong.  So they think that the coaches are attacking them, when really they are trying to correct them so that they can be the best that they can possibly be.  Then the quote talks about how if you go to newspaper critics and ask about players then you will hear about a lot of them.  Meaning that the players are always in the limelight and they will always be talked about for their mistakes more then they are talked about for their accomplishments.  Then it says if you look for sports through the enjoyment of sports and try to find it, it will be harder to find.  To me, this means that people are always quicker to critique then to applaud.  I think this is even more true in sports because you always see players in the news for weeks about doing drugs or getting arrested.  Yet when they break a record, they are only talked about for a day or two.

1.Eliot, T.S.. “Tradition and the Individual Talent. T.S. Eliot. 1921. The Sacred Wood; Essays on Poetry and Criticism.” Bartleby.com: Great Books Online — Quotes, Poems, Novels, Classics and hundreds more. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2013. <http://www.bartleby.com/200/sw4.html>.(Eliot)

Recent Entries

2 Responses to “Traditional and Individual Talend”

1. Jasmin Says:

I extremely agree with your statement that we as humans would rather critique person for their mistakes and negatives then to applaud them accomplishments and positives. I almost feel like its human nature that we act like this button all honestly we should not we should change and try to be come more appreciative and better human beings. T.S. Elliot is one my favorite quite authors, and I thought his quote fit your blog post extremely well. Good post!

2. siscok5 Says:

I really like what you wrote, “Many athletes get very upset when coaches yell at them or try to show them what they did wrong. So they think that the coaches are attacking them, when really they are trying to correct them so that they can be the best that they can possibly be.” I have played soccer since I could walk till my sophomore year in college. When I was younger, after having a coach yell at the team or at me for something we need to improve on I would feel hurt and ready to quit. But as I grew more mature and older, I realized the coaches are only trying to help you improve. If a coach came over to you and calmy said, “Katie, you should try to stay with that girl and make sure does not get the ball” I would not try my hardest to do that. But if the coach said, “Katie, you really need to mark that girl and not let you get the ball. If she gets the ball one more time you’re coming out!” I would take this more seriously and work my best. Criticism should never be taken negatively because criticism only makes you improve and become stronger.